If you are looking for the best over the counter toenail fungus treatment then, you need to think twice because no two treatment methodologies are meant to yield the same results. If you really seek toenail fungus pain treatment then, you need to first understand how to check the health of your nails.
Here is a quick look at how you can check the health of your nails:
Nails are considered healthy when they are shiny on the outer surface and free from cracks or chips at the edges. In case your nails are fading in their original color or are displaying signs of separations (especially in the middle portion of the nail) then, you need to be aware that your nail health is being compromised.
1. Check the Condition of Your Skin: In the first step, you need to ascertain whether your nail is infected or not. You need to check the skin that is affixed to your nail. In case the skin is in good condition and is pink in color, all is well. If on the other hand, the skin is split or showing signs of separations then, your nail is infected.
2. The Shape of Your Toenail: You might also want to cross check the shape of your toe nail. If it remains even and smooth, your nail is in good condition. If on the other hand, it appears bulbous or scoops inwards, it seems to be damaged. In case your toe appears like a spoon then again, it is a sign of infection.
3. Blood and Pain: When you toe is infected with fungus, it starts to decay. While this is a rather slow process, the pain is the first tell-tale sign. When it gets worse, you can expect to see tiny droplets of blood oozing from the sides of your nail.
4. The Change in Natural Color: In case the color of your nail has changed from white to pale yellow or even light yellow, it is a sign of fungal infection. Cracks and splits on the surface of your nail are also an indicator of an infection setting in.
5. Brittle and Hard: Usually, your nails have a soft texture. When pressed gently, they tend to sink inwards into your soft skin. On the contrary, nails that are infected with fungus tend to become brittle. They are hard and appear to break if you press on them too hard.
6. Inflammation and Redness is Visible: The nail on your toe is infected if there is a red patch appearing onto its surface. At times, your nail might have patches of different colors visible clearly on the surface. This too is a clear sign that your toe nail is infected with fungus.
7. The Thickness of a Nail: An ideal nail thickness is less than.50mm. In case you notice that your nail is thicker than this permissible limit, it is caused by fungal infection.
How to Maintain Optimal Nail Health?
It is not very difficult to maintain good nail health. If you are always rushed for work and have little time for your health and hygiene then, following these ‘easy to follow’ tips might save your toe from being infected by fungal infection:
1) The first step to maintain healthy nails is to clean them with warm water and mild soap. Each time you return from work or play, you should wash your feet and dry them with a clean towel.
2) You should only wear socks when your feet have completely dried. If you wear a pair of socks on wet feet then, chances of infecting your nails with fungus are high.
3) It is advisable to wear a pair of socks while stepping out of your house. Even if you wear slippers, cover your feet with socks so as to avoid dirt from seeping into your nails.
4) If you have long toenails then, you need to snip the extra length using a good quality nail-cutter. This shall stop any fungal infection from entering the elongated nail. Trimming nails often dissuades fungus from entering the nail cavity (as there is none available).
5) Your nails need to be protected from injuries. If they are injured, get the correct treatment as soon as possible. If left untreated, injured nails can easily fall prey to fungal infection. So, get them treated as soon as possible.
In order to get free from fungal infection, you need to avoid best otc toenail fungus treatment methods. These methods are not trustworthy and may lead to side effects thereby leading to long term health complications.
Instead, you should choose a natural toenail fungus treatment method that has been tried and tested globally to provide relief to patients without causing any adverse side effects. Your chosen cure should be natural, free from chemicals, addictive and made from a concoction of proven herbs and plant extracts.